Learn and talk about HMY Mary, 1660s ships, 1675 in Europe, Cylch-y-Garn, History of Amsterdam | Boats and Yacht Catalog

Learn and talk about HMY Mary, 1660s ships, 1675 in Europe, Cylch-y-Garn, History of Amsterdam

28 Апр 2014 | Author: | No comments yet »


Viking 54 Convertible

HMY Mary

HMY Mary was the first Royal Yacht of the Royal Navy. She was built in 1660 by the Dutch East India Company. Then she was purchased by the City of Amsterdam and given to King Charles II. on the restoration of the monarchy, as part of the Dutch Gift. She struck rocks off Anglesey in thick fog on 25 March 1675 while en route from Dublin to Chester. Although 39 of 74 crew and passengers managed to get to safety, the wreck quickly broke up. The remains (bronze cannon) were independently discovered by two different diving groups in July 1971. After looters started to remove guns from the site, a rescue operation was organized and the remaining guns and other artefacts were taken to the Merseyside Museums for conservation and display. After the passing of the Protection of Wrecks Act 1973. she was designated as a protected site on 20 January 1974.

Contents

Construction and sailing life [ edit ]

She was the first of some 27 yachts which the king owned between 1660 and 1685. The word yacht derives from a Dutch word jagen . meaning to hurry. She was 52 feet long, with a beam of 19 ft (15.8 by 5.8m) and displaced 100 tons. Her hull was copper clad to ensure that barnacles and other sea creatures did not adhere and cause drag. The Dutch yacht is the fore-runner of the Thames sailing barge. They had a large sail area, but a shallow draught that enabled them to navigate shallow waters. As with a sailing barge, sailing was achieved by means of a leeboard instead of having a deep keel. The shallow draught meant that she needed to carry additional ballast when sailing deeper waters. She was built for luxury with a decorated counter. She is mentioned in the diaries of Samuel Pepys. Charles II enjoyed racing and after owning her for a year commissioned the Katherine as a faster replacement; the first vessel built for him by Phineas Pett .

Mary was then used for transporting diplomats and civil servants and was used regularly for journeys across the Irish Sea between Dublin and Holyhead .

Viking 54 Convertible

Wrecking, recovery and protection [ edit ]

The bronze guns were discovered by both the Chorley Sub Aqua Club and the Merseyside Sub Aqua Club in the same month. Under the direction of Peter Davies of Liverpool University and the Merseyside Museums, the artefacts were rescued from the site before they were lost to looters. The collection was conserved by the Liverpool City Museums Conservation Department and the Merseyside Museums now have over 1,500 objects from the Mary . including cutlery and jewellery. A model of the Mary . built by Des Newton is also on display. [ 3 ]

The Protection of Wrecks Act was passed in 1974 and the Mary was amongst the first designations (after the Cattewater ) in 1974.

The site is regularly monitored by the contractor for the Protection of Wrecks Act and by the licensee.

Interesting Articles

Here you can write a commentary on the recording "Learn and talk about HMY Mary, 1660s ships, 1675 in Europe, Cylch-y-Garn, History of Amsterdam".

* Required fields
All the reviews are moderated.
Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

dima911@gmail.com

Born in the USSR

423360519

About this site

For all questions about advertising, please contact listed on the site.


Boats and Yacht catalog with specifications, pictures, ratings, reviews and discusssions about Boats and Yacht